Operation Christmas Child, an outreach project of Samaritan’s Purse, has set a goal this year to surpass 100 million shoebox gifts packed and distributed since 1993. OCC uses these simple shoeboxes to share God’s greatest gift of all — the life-changing Gospel of Jesus Christ. Children around the world who receive shoeboxes are then invited to a discipleship program called The Greatest Journey.
Trinity has been packing shoeboxes for OCC every year for more than a decade. Last year we packed and shipped 150 boxes, and we're aiming at the same number this year.
Here is how you can help: Pray… Purchase… Pack… Pass… Pose…
- Pray that the children who receive a shoebox will come to receive Jesus Christ as their savior.
- Purchase something from the “list of needed items” available in the foyer (and posted online). Our TBC children will use these donated items to fill some shoeboxes during a Sunday school session in November. They will learn more about the program of Operation Christmas Child and will write a personal note to the child receiving their packed boxes.
- Take an empty box or two on October 14 and pack them with items that you purchase. See card inside for list of requested items. Add a $7 fee in the enclosed envelope to cover transportation and return to the church by Nov. 18.
- Take an empty box or two and pass them along to family members or friends, and ask for their participation in this worthy cause. Boxes can be returned to TBC by Nov. 18 or your friends can bring the box directly to a collection location. See Samaritan’s Purse website for a list of drop off locations that might be closer to your friend’s house.
- Allow your child to pose for a group photo to be sent with each TBC shoebox. The photo op will happen directly after the service on October 14, 2012.
More details and the empty shoeboxes will be available during the worship service on Sunday, October 14.